Captain’s log. A secret history of Grimes IT.
October 9, 2023
October 1 is the commemorated birthday of the new Grimes IT–my first day working at Grimes IT full time (though I began filing paperwork and opening accounts on August 27). So today is the start of the company’s second full week, and I thought I should take a quick snapshot for history.
By this point, a lot of the basic business infrastructure in place.
- I registered Grimes IT, LLC with the NC Secretary of State.
- I opened a Grimes IT checking account, a business credit card, and a couple high-yield savings accounts for holding startup capital and tax set-asides.
- I set up bookkeeping and a financial overview, and roughed out budgets, with the Google Spreadsheets extension “Tiller”. I like the power of working directly in spreadsheets rather than a Quickbooks etc., but it is painfully slow.
- I created a Grimes IT website for consulting (with vague hints of a product business to come).
- I created a new AWS account for Grimes IT and started getting Docker working with ECS and EC2.
- I created a “hello docker” application for experimenting with infrastructure.
- I created a landing page and sketched out a business model for an email subscription list app that respects user consent: Email With Consent. I ended up cooling on the business model, but I plan to keep it as a product pitch for reconsideration later, and to show on the website under “Prototypes” as a sort of portfolio.
- I registered the domain carefulcontacts.com early in the process, which I regretted within days.
- Lesson learned: Don’t register the domain name too soon. Branding and terminology should be free to change a lot in early stages. Instead, use a subdomain for as long as possible.